Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Recaptcha Civil Disobediance

I have previously written about how the recaptcha system appropriates the labor of users without their explicit understanding and consent, and without an 'opt out' option. To me, forced or unacknowledged labor is an issue of fairness and a desire for an informed and empowered society. Yes, it may only add up to a few minutes a week, but the principle remains the same.

Thus I am suggesting a course of protest action. When filling out a recaptcha you see two words. In many cases it is easy to deduce which is the word there for the user's benefit (to show they are not a spam bot) and which is there to make the folks at Recaptcha money and kudos (by requiring use to interpret a work from a document they are probably being paid to digitize).

When I feel I know which word is an attempt to appropriate my labor (often a non-word like a syllable or number) I instead type the word "slave" in response. If you feel as I do about this issue you might try doing the same. So long as you correctly fill out the word that is there for visual verification your comment will still go through as normal.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do captcha companies make money when you use them on your blog?

Anonymous said...

Ha! You are funny...and a bit of a rebel. I didn't know that about captchas....but I do know that they get on my nerves. Now I can at least have a little fun w/them--

BarbaraRae said...

Great information. You must have heard me a few times..as they really
know how to piss someone off! Now, I have your comeback..Trust me, I will remember to use that. Slave no more!

Anonymous said...

HAHA! I will remember this one!

Anonymous said...

Haha... I can see the headlines in your local newspaper, "Veinglory imprisioned for violating 'Recaptcha Civil Disobediance' restraining order....'

Emily you are sooooo funny!!

Anonymous said...

lol - I'll have to keep that in mind. :)

Anonymous said...

I will certainly remember this when running the internet!

Anonymous said...

roflmao... I will be no one's slave....

Anonymous said...

Until reading your post I really never gave this any thought... just mindlessly filled in the blanks :)

Anonymous said...

Really funny.. I will remember this one as well..lol