Monday, February 2, 2009

Classic Covers: Waiting for Willy

Today's classic cover is a subtle little number from Avon, circa 1951. Of course any erotic meaning you take from the title is entirely down to you. "Willy" is actually the name of the lady and she has to sleep in that contorted pose to stop her makeup from ruining the pillow covers.

Creative choice of character name is also apparent with the heroine's mother, Tennessee--not to mention a male character apparently called Homerette and another called Red White. Not to mention Tom Kitty and Fuzz. Oh well.

As is always the case, the content of the book are not nearly as interesting as the cover suggests.

13 comments:

Samantha & Mom said...

Mom always loves the covers and titles on books!! Especially the older ones and on romance novels!!
She's a historical romance fan! Loves all the adventure and passion!
Your FL furiends,

Anonymous said...

Emily, you are so darn funny! How do you come up with this brilliance?

I love it that you say she's sleeping in this pose so she doesn't get makeup on her pillowcase.

What a shame the read isn't as good as the cover :(

Anonymous said...

It is indeed a classic cover.. and I like it! :)

Owen Cutajar said...

Great cover and such a shame about the contents after so much promise. Still, I'm sure you have more than a few books in your library to keep you entertained.

Anonymous said...

Ha! This is so interesting. I had no idea the way these covers came about.

von Klick said...

That's a classic, all right.

Got the cover to "God's Little Acre?" I bet it's just as much fun.

Anonymous said...

It makes you wonder if they were aware of the double entendré present in the title. It's old enough that "willy" might not have the meaning it does today, like how "ejaculating" used to only mean "to yell excitedly."

Anonymous said...

Hopefully any potential readers will see your blog before reading the book since it's not nearly as interesting as one would hope-

Anonymous said...

I snorted...LOL!

Anonymous said...

I love the character names. How funny!

Anonymous said...

I always marvel at where you find this stuff! I won't even tell you what series I'm stuck reading over and over, but it ain't this LOL!

veinglory said...

I tend to find my old books on ebay--they are normally cheap enough to be worth it for the cover art alone ;)

Anonymous said...

What's up with sleeping with the make-up on? Didn't they have cold cream back then? Heck, my Mom would use a dab of baby oil on a piece of cotton sometimes. LOL