Tuesday, February 3, 2009

SIPping the Swollen what?

I was browsing Amazon the other day when the I saw this:



My first thought was that I rather hope "swollen bud" is a statistically improbable phrase. But "inside the book" obligingly revealed book after book employing this phrase--far more often in relation to a woman's clitoris than any part of a plant. And they come up because books taking part in "Inside the Book" have their entire contents as search terms, and especially SIPs.

"Statistically Improbable Phrases, or "SIPs", are the most distinctive phrases in the text of books in the Search Inside!™ program. To identify SIPs, our computers scan the text of all books in the Search Inside! program. If they find a phrase that occurs a large number of times in a particular book relative to all Search Inside! books, that phrase is a SIP in that book."

But I do wonder if Amazon really intended anyone who might be searching for a book on how to prune a rosebush to received these kinds of suggestions. And of course then I couldn't help but try and see what the weirdest SIPs I could find were, like....

Good advice?



Almost poetic...



And honestly, who could resist:



We have a winner!

1 comment:

von Klick said...

I wonder what statistics they're basing the idea "Improbable" off of. O.o